Since I started facial rolling a year ago, I've noticed an improvement in the overall look and feel of my skin. Here are some of the key benefits of regular facial rolling:
1) Improved blood flow and circulation
Facial rolling dilates the blood vessels in your face, allowing more oxygen and nutrient blood to reach skin cells. What results is a fresh appearance and a healthy glow, most noticeable after regular use of a facial roller.
2) Eases facial tension
Facial rolling is a wonderful way to relax the muscles of your face, especially along the jawline (e.g. TMJ) and around the temples. I’ve gotten relief from tension headaches simply by massaging over my temple regions. Because the gemstones have naturally cooling properties they help to bring down inflammation which often results from muscular tension.
3) Better absorption of skincare products
Along with enhancing blood flow and circulation, facial rolling helps products such as facial oils, serums, or moisturizers penetrate deeper into the skin. Over time, you may find yourself needing to use less product because of enhanced absorption!
4) Lymphatic drainage
The lymphatic system is part of your immune system and contains lymph - a fluid that carries immune cells as well as metabolic wastes and byproducts of toxins we are exposed to daily. It’s like our septic tank or body’s sewage system and needs to be “drained” or cleared out periodically. Facial rolling accomplishes this by helping the move lymph to collecting ducts where wastes and toxins can be eliminated from our bodies.
Facial rolling has been touted as the “Eastern Face Lift” and for good reason. Traditionally used in ancient Chinese beauty rituals since the 17th century, facial rollers have naturally cooling properties, making them ideal for reducing redness/inflammation and easing tension throughout the face. In this post, I share some of the health and beauty benefits of facial rolling and the proper technique of using a gemstone facial roller. If you don’t already own a facial roller, this little gemstone beauty tool is a wonderful option for your beauty and self-care routine!
SELECTING A FACIAL ROLLER
While facial rollers provide the same physical benefits I've listed above, they can exert different emotional & spiritual benefits depending on the type of gemstone used. Here's a quick breakdown of each gemstone and their healing properties.
1) Amethyst is a balancing stone that helps one to develop insight, intuition, and calm & peaceful state of mind while supporting detoxification by clearing away negative thoughts and emotions.
2) White Jade is a symbol of health and harmony, and help to raise one’s vibrations, awareness, and clarity. An activator of the crown and upper chakras, the White Jade Facial Roller can easily be added to your self-care routine.
3) Rose Quartz is a stone of the heart and carries with it the energy of unconditional love. When used, Rose Quartz evokes a feeling of tenderness, compassion, nourishment, and self-love.
And my personal favorite...
4) Rose Quartz Spiky (picture on the right), which has the same properties of Rose Quartz, but comes with a spiky massage head on one end. This Rose Quartz Spiky roller penetrates deeper into the skin, providing a greater boost in circulation and collagen production.
FACIAL ROLLING TECHNIQUE
Apply facial oil or serum to cleansed and toned skin. You want to make sure your skin is well lubricated before rolling so that friction (i.e. redness) is minimized.
Move upwards along the neck (1), chin (2), cheeks (3), under eyes (4), forehead (5,6), and jawline (7). Then move downwards along the sides of neck (8) to promote lymphatic drainage.
Use for 2-3 minutes at a time, up to 7 days a week.
Clean with a mild soap cleanser, dry completely, and store.
HOW OFTEN CAN I USE MY FACIAL ROLLER?
Facial rolling offers a mild form of facial massage so I recommend using a roller once daily if possible. Personally, I love using my facial roller at night because it’s such an integral part of my nightly self-care practice.
However, you are welcome to use your roller in the morning if that suits you better. It is really a matter of personal preference. Whether you use a facial roller in the morning or at night, it is a wonderful way to nourish your entire being and promote greater self-love!
Have you tried facial rolling? What results have you seen with it?
Product photos taken by: Julia Paras
Please note: this information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Check out my Facial Rolling 101 Tutorial below!